Who doesn’t love a good plate of chicken fingers. Adult, kid, pub food lover or not it’s a simple comfort food that never gets old. These Baked Chicken Fingers with Greek Yogurt Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce hit the spot!
There are a few people in my life who have recently had to cut out wheat or gluten so I was inspired to play around with the recipe and try out some different ways to bread the chicken that would make it suitable for everyone. This recipe is gluten and grain free but you really wouldn’t know the difference! What are your guys’ favorite alternatives for breading?
The final product ended up looking a little different than what you see in these pics cause I just wasn’t quite satisfied with them so I ended up testing them a couple more times after I shot these until they were perfect! Haha. I know, I’m crazy, but your taste buds will thank me for it.
I tried them with both almond flour (ground much finer into a flour-like consistency) and almond meal (ground almonds with a coarser texture and I found that the almond meal gave much better flavor and browned up a lot more nicely! With a few other spices in the mix the flavor was just right!
To get that perfect crispy browned texture took a bit of trial and error but here are a few of the tips I found ended up working best!
- Using tinfoil instead of parchment paper to line the baking sheet
- Greasing the tinfoil and spraying the tops of the chicken fingers is key!
- Patting the chicken dry before starting the breading- this helps to get rid of any extra moisture so it doesn’t seep into the coating and prevent it from crisping up
- Don’t crowd the tray too much, leave a bit of space between each of the fingers
- Using a high heat. I tried with 350F, 425F and 450F and just couldn’t seem to get them to crisp up at the lower temperatures
- Baking on the top rack of the oven
For the dipping sauce, I pulled out one of my best tricks for creamy dips – Greek yogurt! I often use it as a sub for mayonnaise for veggie dips, or instead of cream for soups and pasta dishes. I’m a heavy dipper. Just a little spec on the end of my food just doesn’t do it for me! So Greek yogurt is a great way to get the consistency and flavor I want without the heaviness of some other dips.
I hope you enjoy! I’d love to hear what you think! Share our creations with me on Instagram tagging @lindsaypleskotrd and #makefoodfeelgood.
Baked Almond Crusted Chicken Fingers with Greek Yogurt Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 1lb (454g) chicken breasts, cut into 1-1.5 inch wide strips (approx 3-4 strips per breast)
- 1 cup almond meal (approx 1.5 cups of whole almonds if grinding them up yourself, or buy pre-prepared almond meal)
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, grated *optional
- 1 egg
- Avocado oil (or other high heat cooking oil) and/or spray
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup 2% Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and grease it with about 1 Tbsp of avocado oil. This will help the chicken fingers really crisp up.
- In a large bowl, crack your egg and whisk it until blended.
- In another bowl, combine almond meal (if you are making your own just pulse 1.5 cups of raw almonds into a coarse powder), paprika, salt and pepper, and parmesan if using it.
- Cut your chicken into 1-1.5 inch wide strips and pat dry with paper towel.
- Add your chicken pieces into the bowl with the egg and use a fork to lift and mix pieces so that they’re covered on both sides. Allow any excess egg to drip off before placing in the almond mixture.
- Next, dip the egg coated chicken pieces into the almond mixture one at a time, use a fork to press down on the tops and coat well, flip the piece with a fork and repeat on the other side then place on the greased baking sheet. Repeat until all pieces are coated.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Remove and flip them over and finish baking for 2 more minutes or until no pink remains on the inside
- Meanwhile, whisk your honey mustard ingredients together in a small bowl. When the chicken is ready to come out of the oven, serve together.
SHOP THE POST
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL LOVE IT TOO!