It has been one rainy spring here in Vancouver. I’ve really been trying not to be one of those people who is obsessed with talking about the weather, but I’m afraid I might have become that person. I just can’t help it. I NEED THE SUN!!
We recently moved into a new place and one of the major bonuses, maybe even the selling point, was a huge outdoor space (huge to us who have never really had a decent outdoor living space in all of our apartment living). We’ve been waiting for a space like this for a long time so we got a bit ambitious and did some premature patio shopping (while the rain was still pouring down). Every time the sun even tempts us at peeking out, we are ripping off the couch cover and pretending it’s summer. Luckily, lately things seem to be taking a turn for the better.
Anyway… one of the things we have been able to get a lot of use out of is our new BBQ. I love everything about Barbecuing…the grill marks, the distinct flavor, and a smell that is undeniably summer. A few weeks ago we made some awesome homemade jalapeño and blue cheese burgers and were craving something crunchy on the side, so I decided to whip up some of these baked onion rings and they turned out so great! So I knew I had to share them with you guys.
Did you know that onions are actually quite the nutrition powerhouses? I know…who knew right? To be honest I actually never really considered onions as being a health promoting food. I love flavor, and onions = flavor so they were really just an automatic ingredient to start dishes off with a good flavor base. But I’ve learned that they deserve more credit than I’ve been giving them. Onions are part of the Allium family like garlic and leeks. High in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, you can now enjoy this fast food guilty pleasure in all of it’s glory.
Better than Fast Food Crispy Baked Onion Rings
- 1 medium onion, sliced into ¼ inch rings
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Seasoning salt or seasoning of choice, approx. ¼ tsp- adjust to taste
- Avocado oil spray (or add your own into a spray bottle like this)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil and and spray or lightly grease with avocado oil.
- Next, set up your dipping station by adding your flour to a large ziplock bag and setting up 2 bowls- one with the egg and one with half of the breadcrumbs and seasoning salt (it works best to do 2 batches of the breadcrumbs, otherwise they get too wet from the egg and clump together).
- Add your onion rings to the bag with flour and shake to coat evenly. Removing the rings one at a time, dip them into the egg, then the breadcrumb mixture and finally onto your baking sheets in a single layer. To make more room on your sheets, you can place the smaller rings inside the bigger ones to bake. When you run out of breadcrumbs, add the remaining breadcrumbs and seasoning salt and repeat until all rings are coated.
- Spray the tops with more avocado oil. This will help them brown and crisp up.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping half way through. Cook until golden brown and nicely crisp.
SHOP THE POST
PS- Want to simplify, save time and eat well? Get your free copy of my 5 Day Meal Plan HERE. Limit weekly meal prep to just 1 hour and get a completely different, delicious and healthy 20 minute meal every night of the week! (Includes a grocery list, breakfast , lunch and snack ideas too!). Get started today to by clicking the link here for your free instant download!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL LOVE IT TOO!