Crumbles were one of my all time favorite desserts growing up, and that really hasn’t changed. There’s no better time to enjoy these than fall. With all of the delicious apple varieties in season, now’s the time! They’re also a great way of using up those apples that you might have accidentally dropped on the floor and bruised, or left in the fridge just a bit too long.
This recipe’s been on the back of my mind for awhile now. I really wanted to play around with it a bit to come up with a version that could be enjoyed as dessert, or as a nice motivation to get you up in the morning. That’s right, this recipe doubles as a dessert and a BREAKFAST!! It is high in soluble fiber from the apples, oats and bran buds and the Greek yogurt gives the perfect balance of some protein. How amazing is that?! For dessert, I like to sub the yogurt for a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream 🙂
I bet you can guess what’s been on repeat in our house.Print
A twist on a classic dessert that you can eat for breakfast! Warm apples, topped with a crispy oat and nut topping, and finished with creamy yogurt (or ice cream, your call ;)).
- 4 large gala or pink lady apples
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup bran buds (I used Kellogg’s)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup pecans
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 cup 0% plain or vanilla Greek yogurt or ice cream for dessert (I used Liberté)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice off the top of the apple and scoop out the core of the apple, including the seeds. Rub the top and the insides of the apple with the lemon.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the butter, oats, bran buds, pecans, cinnamon and salt to make your crumble.
- Divide the crumble mixture between the apples.
- Place the apples upright on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake until tender, approx 30-35 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dishes and serve with yogurt or ice cream.
- Category: Breakfast, Desserts
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: European
Keywords: comfort food, autumn, fall
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL LOVE IT TOO!