You won’t be able to stop eating these crispy homemade onion rings once you try them, trust me! They are coated in a light panko batter and oven-baked to golden perfection. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce for an easy appetizer that everyone will love!
- 1 medium onion, sliced into ¼ inch rings
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Seasoning salt or seasoning of choice, approx. ¼ tsp. Adjust to taste
- Avocado oil spray (you can also add your own oil into a spray bottle)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- If you haven’t already, slice your onion into ¼ inch rings.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or foil and and spray or lightly grease with avocado oil.
- Next, set up your dipping station: Add your flour to a large ziplock bag. Take out 2 bowls. Add your egg to one bowl and beat until fully mixed. Add half of the breadcrumbs and seasoning salt to the other bowl. (It works best to do 2 batches of the breadcrumbs, otherwise they get too wet from the egg and clump together).
- Put your onion rings into the bag with flour and shake to coat evenly. Removing the rings one at a time, dip them into the egg bowl, then into the breadcrumb mixture. Place the onion ring on your baking sheet in (spaced out and single layered). To make more room on your sheets, you can place the smaller rings inside the bigger ones before baking. When you run out of breadcrumbs, add the remaining breadcrumbs and seasoning salt, then repeat until all rings are coated and placed on your sheet.
- Spray the tops with more avocado oil. This will help them brown and crisp up.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping half way through. Cook until golden brown and nicely crisp.
- To make these crispy, oven-baked onion rings vegan, use a flax egg or a chia egg in place of the real egg.
- To make them gluten-free, opt for a gluten-free flower and gluten-free panko bread crumb option
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Snacks, Appetizers
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: homemade onion rings, baked onion rings, easy onion rings