Adapted from “Whole Grain Morning Glory Muffins” by Whole Foods Market.
These muffins are perfect for a healthy breakfast or snack on the go. They are packed with fiber from all sorts of good stuff… coconut, flax, apples and carrots. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!Print
These muffins are a HIT across all ages and a fun way to up your servings of fruit and veggies. They freeze great for quick grab and go breakfasts or after work/school snacks!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed natural brown sugar
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple (3/4-1 cup cored, peeled and diced- fuji, gala, ambrosia recommended)
- 1 large carrot (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp dried flaked unsweetened coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon. and salt; break up any brown sugar lumps with your fingers or a wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce and vanilla, then add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Add apples, raisins, carrots, walnuts and 1/4 cup of the coconut and stir gently until well combined.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin tins, filling each about 2/3 full. Top evenly with remaining 4 teaspoons coconut and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Category: Baking
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: European
Keywords: kid friendly, healthy baking, batch cooking, family meal planning
Remove from the oven and Enjoy!
|Saturated Fat (g)||0.9|
|Trans Fat (g)||0.0|