Inspired by Whole Foods’ morning glory muffins, these healthy coconut carrot cake muffins are SO tasty. They are moist, fluffy, and packed full of wholesome ingredients, like shredded carrot, applesauce, ground flax and whole wheat flour. Best part? They only require 15 minutes of preparation. Recipe yields 12 muffins.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed natural brown sugar
- 1 + 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple (3/4-1 cup cored, peeled and diced or shredded- fuji, gala, ambrosia recommended)
- 1 large carrot (about 2/3 cup), shredded
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins and/or chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp dried flaked unsweetened coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, flax, sugars, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; break up any brown sugar lumps with your fingers or a wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, applesauce and vanilla, then add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Add apples, carrots, walnuts, raisins/chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of the coconut and stir gently until well combined.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin tins, filling each about 2/3 full. Top evenly with remaining 4 teaspoons coconut and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Category: Baking
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: European
Keywords: kid friendly, healthy baking, batch cooking, family meal planning