A good spaghetti sauce is a must in the repertoire. This is a great recipe to batch prep and store leftovers in the freezer for busy weeknights!
- 1/2 large red onion
- 3–4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 400g ground turkey or extra lean ground beef
- 1 can (680 ml) tomato sauce
- fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
- splash of red wine
- 2–3 Tbsp basil, chopped
- 1 tsp + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large pinch of crushed red chili flakes (~2 tsp.)
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 large tomato
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large skillet, add chopped onion and garlic and gry until clear and starting to brown (4-5 mins)
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned, approx 6-8 minutes
- Add tomato sauce, red wine, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes
- Stir in basil and spinach and fresh tomato and cook until wilted spinach is wilted.
- drizzle with remaining olive oil and chili flakes simmer an additional 5 minutes
- Serve over your favorite noodles (to help sauce stick to the pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water from pasta and remove pasta when just al dente. Add sauce to noodles along with cooking water, continue to heat and stir for an additional 5 minutes before serving).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: meal prep, family meal planning, batch cooking