A quick, balanced weeknight meal with tons of flavor. Made with fresh ingredients like bell peppers, tomatoes, lettuce and avocados and tempeh and black beans for delicious plant based protein, tacos have never been so satisfying! Vegan.
- ¾ cup rice (I used Level Ground Trading Aromatic Brown Rice)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic
- ½ cup black beans
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Optional: 1 tsp cumin
- 227g tempeh, crumbled ( I used Tofurky Organic 5 Grain)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
Optional toppings: Fresh cilantro, diced avocado, sliced jalapeño, squeeze of fresh lime juice, crumbled tortilla chips (I used Way Better Blue Corn Chips)
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile prep your vegetables and garnish.
- Next, heat oil in a large cast iron pan over medium-high heat, once hot (1-2 minutes) add garlic. Cook until fragrant, stirring to make sure it doesn’t burn (1-2 minutes).
- Next add your tempeh, black beans, chili powder, paprika and cumin and let them brown for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once rice is done cooking, divide between bowls. Top as desired with tempeh and black bean mixture, veggies and desired garnishes.
- I went all out and finished off with about ¼ of an avocado, sliced jalapeño, fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime and a small handful of crumbled tortilla chips and it was perfection!
Prep a batch of rice at the beginning of the week and this meal will come together in 15 minutes!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Bowl Assembly
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Taco Bowl, Summer Recipes, Bowl Recipes