With very few ingredients, this quick and simple dish is the perfect side for any summer barbecue or a great way to brighten up a winter meal! It can be eaten hot off the grill and is also great cold as a next day leftover.
Asparagus is high in B vitamins which are important for a healthy metabolism. They also boast a unique type of fiber called inulin. Inulin is a prebiotic, which is food for the healthy bacteria in our gut.
As easy as it gets, this fresh flavorful asparagus dish might just be the tastiest way to get your greens! Oven baked instructions below. Vegan option provided.
- 2 bunches of asparagus (about 24 spears), ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (or other high heat cooking oil such as grape seed)
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp)
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tsp)
- Coarse ground salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup feta, crumbled
- Preheat your Barbeque to medium high (see below for baking instructions)
- In a medium sized bowl, place asparagus spears and drizzle with 1 Tbsp of the oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix to coat evenly.
- Place spears on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes, turning over half way. You want the spears to be tender but still a bit crisp. Allow the spears to char slightly, as this will add delicious flavor!
- Remove asparagus from the grill and place on your serving dish (can be left whole or cut into thirds) . Add the remaining oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and more salt and pepper if needed. Stir to coat evenly and finish off by sprinkling with feta cheese.
- Alternatively, bake at 400F for 8-10 minutes
- To make vegan, skip the feta cheese or sub for a sprinkle of nutritional yeast
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: BBQ
Keywords: BBQ, summer, summer produce, asparagus
Thank you to my student volunteer, Nisha Takhar, for her hard work in helping to put this post together.