This Grilled Skirt Steak and Fresh Vibrant Chimichurri sauce are a match made in heaven! The Chimichurri sauce also pairs well with, well, pretty much everything. Double up this freezer friendly, prep ahead sauce for a quick weeknight meal or easy entertaining!
Thank you Inspired Leafy Greens for sponsoring this recipe and giving it a nutritional boost with your beautiful living lettuce!
Whether you’re entertaining or want to treat yourself to a delicious weeknight meal, this recipe is quick to throw together and a total crowd pleaser! This grilled skirt steak is a guaranteed win for the meal lovers in the fam and if you’re not a steak lover, I’ve got good news, it is amazing on pretty much anything. Drizzle it over white fish, use it as a dip for prawns, or marinate tofu or tempeh and make grilled kabobs.
It has been so nice to get to spend some good time out on our patio and our little garden is coming along so nicely! I have to admit, Meik deserves most of the credit -BUT I did keep everything alive while he was away on a work trip! I even got to proudly use a little bit of our garden mint for the Chimichurri, which is the real star of the show here!
Now you might be wondering…
What is Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri sauce originated in Argentina and Uruguay and is used both as a sauce for cooking various dishes, and a table condiment (like you’d use hot sauce, except it’s not spicy at all. This sauce is packed with herbs and aromatics for an insanely fresh punch of flavor!
How Do you Make Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri Sauce is so easy to make and takes less than 5 minutes. All you need is a food processor or high speed blender and the following ingredients
Salt. Pepper. Chili Flakes.
I also added a hearty dose of Inspired Greens Green Oak lettuce for some extra green power. I love that this lettuce is grown without the use of pesticides, especially since you’re eating the entire leaf.
A side note: Do I need to be Concerned About Pesticides?
I recently did an Instagram live where we discussed the topic of pesticide use. If you’re not sure where to begin when it comes to this topic, a really handy tool is The Dirty Dozen list. It lists the twelve fruits and veggies that are most prone to pesticide absorption and the fifteen you need to worry about the least.
An easy way to think about it is if the vegetable has a thin skin, or you’re eating the whole thing, you’re more likely to ingest those pesticides. If it has a thick skin like an orange or banana, that you peel off and discard before eating, you don’t really have to worry so much!
Nutrition Benefits of Chimichurri Sauce
We often overlook herbs as contributing to our daily tally of greens but they are nutrition powerhouses! They MAKE this sauce! I also love throwing a generous handful into salads or sprinkled onto any dish for added freshness.
- High in Vitamin K which contributes to bone health
- High in Vitamin C which plays a very important role in keeping our immune system strong and healthy. It is also an antioxidant that slows down the aging process (hello skin health!)
- Also High in Vitamin K
- Contains Vitamin A an antioxdant important for eye health
- Mint is known for it’s ability to sooth stomach upset and aid digestion
BONUS INGREDIENTS: Inspired Greens Green Oak or Baby Butter Lettuce
- Contributes additional fiber for to support blood sugar balance and gut health
- Provides potassium which helps regulate blood pressure and supports heart health
How to Store Chimichuri Sauce
This Chimichurri sauce can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. It also freezer really well and can be kept in the freezer for up to a month (I have kept it in there longer but for optimal freshness use it within a month)
When it comes to the skirt steak here are a few helpful tips!
How to Choose Quality Red Meat
Whenever possible, choose grass fed beef. This means that the cows have been pasture raised and grazed on grass as their main source of nutrition. This boosts the content of Omega-3 fatty acids provided in the meat.
How Much Red Meat Should I Eat Each Week?
There is no daily or weekly requirement for red meat. Although it does contain protein and minerals like iron and zinc, it is also high in saturated fat. If you eat red meat, I recommend enjoying it as a treat, and opting for protein from fish, poultry, seafoods, beans & legumes, tofu, or tempeh most often.
How to Cook Skirt Steak
In this recipe I used a grill to barbecue the skirt steak but it is also delicious cooked in the oven.
To cook on the barbecue:
- Rub the skirt steak with spices
- Rub in some oil
- Let it sit to marinate overnight or at least 30 minutes
- Grill on medium-high heat. 5 minutes per side for medium rare
This Grilled Skirt Steak and Fresh Vibrant Chimichurri sauce are a match made in heaven! The Chimichurri sauce also pairs well with fish, prawns and poultry or tofu for a delicious plant based version!
- 1 ½ lbs Skirt steak or other preferred cut
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly-cracked pepper (a few turns of the mill)
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1–2 tsp brown sugar *optional to balance out flavor
- ½ head (approx 2 cups) Inspired Greens Green Oak or Baby Butter Lettuce
- 1 ½ cups fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup fresh mint
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon (1-2 Tbsp, adjust to taste)
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium shallot, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ¼ tsp freshly-cracked pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes to garnish *optional
- Combine the rub spices (leaving oil out) in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Place steak in a large Ziplock bag or large container with a lid. Add the oil and coat the steak evenly. Sprinkle with the rub mixture and use your hands to massage it evenly into the meat. Place in the fridge to marinate overnight if possible or at least 30 minutes.
- For the chimichurri, place all ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor and blend or pulse until well combined. You can blend until you get a full puree or stop earlier at a chunkier consistency.
- When you’re ready to cook the steak remove from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill for about 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes before slicing into it. This will allow the juices to settle into the meat rather than drain out.
- Slice against the grain into strips. Pour the chimichurri over the steak just before serving. Sprinkle with chili flakes and coarse salt if desired (I love the crunchy crystals of Maldon salt on here).
- Marinate steak overnight if possible
- Prep Chimichurri sauce ahead of time and store in the fridge or freezer for quick meal prep
- If you prefer a chunkier texture like a salsa for the sauce, I suggest using the food processor and just pulse until your desired consistency is reached
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Barbecued, Blended
- Cuisine: Argentine
Keywords: skirt steak, barbecue, grilling recipes, summer recipes
SHOP THE POST
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL LOVE IT TOO!