These healthy meal prep breakfast burritos are super easy to make ahead, and freezer friendly! Packed with nutritious ingredients and lots of protein, they are the perfect fast breakfast for work and school days!
When you think of meal prep, it’s usually for dinner, right? But a bit of breakfast meal prep can go a long way! For lunch and dinner, I need variety! But breakfast is unique in that when I find something I like I could eat it over and over again! What about you, what’s your breakfast style? Either way, I have a sneaking suspicion you’ll be craving these when you wake up! I’m always looking for healthy meal prep ideas for breakfast and this one takes the cake!
When Wylder was newborn, my Mom and sister stocked me up with these wraps! And they literally saved my life! When people told me “oh there will be days you’ll look up and it’s 2pm before you’ve eaten anything!” I thought they were exaggerating…turns out, they weren’t. Haha
So whether you’re a new momma or busy bee, this healthy breakfast burrito recipe will be a game changer to the flow of your mornings!
One of my favorite on the go breakfasts is the Starbucks spinach and egg white wraps – they are so satisfying, but why not make your own homemade breakfast burritos. It will save you so much money in the end, and it’s always nice to be able to put exactly what you want inside!
Healthy Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
- Once wrapped, place in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers of the burritos so they don’t get stuck together! Store in the fridge for 3-4 days
- After wrapping your breakfast burritos, place in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the freezer to “set” for 15-20 minutes. This will prevent them from sticking together when placed in a container for longer term storage. Once hardened just enough not to stick together, place in an airtight container or ziplock bag (re-usable if possible!)
- For ideal quality, freeze up to 1 month (can be frozen longer but may collect freezer burn)
Nutrition Benefits of Breakfast Burrito
- An excellent source of high-quality protein. Protein is a catalyst for virtually every chemical reaction in the body. In addition, protein is important for growth and maintenance of muscle tissues and helps improve immune function.
- Rich in essential minerals such as zinc, selenium, iron and copper. Essential nutrients are ones that the body cannot synthesize on its own, therefore, essential nutrients need to be obtained through the foods we eat for optimal bodily functioning and health.
- Packed with fat-soluble vitamin K, an important vitamin for the maintenance of good health. Vitamin K plays a role in bone metabolism, regulating calcium levels and blood clotting.
- Spinach contains magnesium, an important mineral for hundreds of biochemical reactions in the human body. Magnesium helps regulate blood pressure and can help reduce insulin resistance.
- Antioxidant-rich thanks to vitamin C! Antioxidants, like vitamin C, help the body fight off free radicals that can cause cellular damage.
- Bell peppers contain an excellent source of potassium which plays an important role in the human body. Potassium is a mineral that assists nerve and muscle communication and helps move nutrients into cells and waste products out of cells.
Whole grain wraps
- Whole grains, wheat in this case, are a great source of fiber that helps stabilize blood sugars and keep us feeling full longer.
- Rich in B vitamins such as folate, thiamine and niacin. B Vitamins are important for energy, red blood cell production and overall cell health.
The combination of these ingredients also make for a nice balanced meal! I always try to keep the plate method in mind (1/2 plate vegetables, 1/4 plate protein, 1/4 plate high fiber carbohydrates, and finish with some fat) whenever I’m meal planning or creating recipes. This combo not only gives us a good balance of nutrients, but also acts to keep us feeling full and energized longer after eating!)
Add-Ins and Swaps for Breakfast Burrito
These breakfast burritos are so versatile! As with any recipe, use it as a guide and make swaps to suit your preferences
- Swap spinach for kale
- Cherry tomatoes
- Shredded cheddar, monterey Jack, or cheese blend
- Goat cheese
- Swap for your favorite vegan cheese to make the recipe dairy free
Whole Grain Wrap Swaps
- Try spinach or tomato wraps for a colorful change
- Swap for your favorite gluten free wrap to make recipe gluten free
Meal Prep Tips for Breakfast Burrito
- Double the amount of veggies in the recipe to use for other recipes throughout the week
- Double this recipe to extend your efforts and have a larger stock of freezer friendly meal prep breakfast burritos!
- If using a hard cheese buy pre-shredded to save yourself time! (These are often on sale and can end up being more cost effective than the bricks of cheese!)
How to Reheat Breakfast Burrito
- Preheat to 400F. Bake from frozen for 30-35 mins (this is a great option to pop in while you get ready in the morning and have it crispy and waiting for you when you finish!)
Shortcut Oven Method
- Defrost in microwave for 1-2 minutes, then bake in the oven or toaster oven at 400F for 10-12 minutes or run through 1-2 round of “toast” setting in a toaster oven.
- Reheat from frozen in the microwave for approx 2 minutes, flipping half way. All microwaves are different, check after 1 minute and repeat in 1 minute increments as necessary!
What to Serve/Pair with Breakfast Burrito
This healthy breakfast burrito recipe has everything you need for a nutritious and balanced breakfast but if you need a little extra, try pairing it with one of these smoothies! Alternatively, enjoy half of a wrap with a smoothie!
- 5 Minute Every Day Green Smoothie
- Orange & Ginger Hangover Cure Smoothie
- Chocolate Chia Seed Shake
- After 8 Chocolate Mint Smoothie
I hope you enjoy this delicious Healthy Meal Prep Breakfast Burrito recipe. If you make this recipe be sure to tag me on Instagram @lindsaypleskot so I can see your burrito creations! It makes my day!Print
A super easy make ahead healthy breakfast burrito that is freezer friendly and packed with nutritious ingredients! An great source of protein, healthy fats and filling fiber! These burritos are the perfect quick and easy breakfast option for work and school days!
- 18 eggs
- 10 x 12” whole grain wraps
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 5 oz bin of spinach
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 4 bell peppers (orange, yellow or red), sliced
- 1 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (shredded cheddar or cheese blend are also delish!)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional – ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, diced
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Toss peppers and onion with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and lay out on your baking sheet. Bake peppers for 20-25 minutes until tender. Add spinach right onto the pan for the last 5 minutes of baking, stir and place back in the oven to wilt.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. In a bowl, scramble eggs up with a fork, and add to the heated pan.
- Cook eggs, stirring frequently until cooked through
- Lay your wraps out on a flat surface and start making your breakfast burritos! Start by sprinkling cheese down the middle of the wrap, leaving about 1 ½ inches at either end so you’ll be able to wrap them. Next, divide your vegetable mixture, eggs, cheese and tomatoes if using, between the wraps.
- To wrap the breakfast burritos: Fold the top and bottom (shorter edges) of the wrap in. Fold one of the long edges of the wrap over the egg filling and continue rolling until no more wrap remains.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 2 months (see freezing tip below).
- If freezing: To begin, place wraps in a single layer on 1-2 baking sheets. Place in the freezer to “set” or firm up for 15-20 minutes. Once firm enough that the wraps won’t stick together, place in an airtight container, or ziplock bag (re-usable if possible), and store in the freezer for up to 2 months!
- Oven /Toaster oven reheating: Preheat to 400F. Bake from frozen for 35-40 mins (this is a great option to pop in while you get ready in the morning and have it crispy and waiting for you when you finish!
- Cheater oven method reheating: Defrost in microwave for 1-2 minutes, bake for 10-12 minutes to crisps up at the end!
- Microwave reheating: Reheat from frozen in the microwave for 2-3 minutes. All microwaves are different, check after 1 minute and repeat in 1 minute increments as necessary!
- See above for ingredient swaps!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: breakfast burrito, healthy breakfast burrito, meal prep, freezer friendly, prep ahead