These healthy meal prep breakfast burritos are super easy to make ahead, and freezer-friendly! Packed with nutritious ingredients and lots of protein, they are the perfect fast and easy breakfast. Vegan option included.
As a dietitian, having a “healthy” meal prep plan is all about having foods you love on hand and at the ready to save you stress and a whole lot of time in the kitchen! This means nourishing not only your body (this one is packed with colorful veggies and protein to keep you sailing through the morning with energy to spare!) but satisfying mind and soul too!
And a good ol’ balance of protein, fat and fiber to keep those blood sugars stable (we don’t need any hanger derailing the day! Haha).
Meal prep often focuses on dinner or lunches, but having some key meal prep breakfast ideas is a game changer!
Think about it, when you start the day off on the right foot, the rest of the day tends to flow with a bit more ease, doesn’t it?!
When Wylder was newborn, my Mom and sister stocked me up with these wraps! And they literally saved my life! When people told me “oh there will be days you’ll look up and it’s 2pm before you’ve eaten anything!” I thought they were exaggerating…turns out, they weren’t. Haha
So whether you’re a new momma or busy bee, this healthy breakfast burrito recipe will be a game changer to the flow of your mornings!
Let’s dive in shall we?
How to Make Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
Prep time: 15 minutes * Includes time to wrap all of your burritos!
Cook Time: 25 minutes *of mostly hands off time!
Cooking Method: Oven and stove top for maximum time efficiency!
- Chop Veggies. No explanation needed. Haha.
- Bake your veggies! Yep, no standing over the stove sauteeing! Let the oven do the work while you get to the next steps!
- Scramble your eggs
- Make a production line & assemble burritos! Lay out all of your wraps on a clean surface and start assembling with cheese first, then veggies, topped with egg and they’re ready to wrap!
- Wrap up those burritos! Here’s a little video for you 🙂
How to Store Meal Prep Healthy Breakfast Burritos
You can store these in the fridge if you know you’re going to eat them up in the coming days AND they also freeze beautifully!
- Once wrapped, place in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers of the burritos so they don’t get stuck together! Store in the fridge for 3-4 days
- After wrapping your breakfast burritos, place in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the freezer to “set” for 15-20 minutes. This will prevent them from sticking together when placed in a container for longer term storage. Once hardened just enough not to stick together, place in an airtight container or ziplock bag (re-usable if possible!)
- For ideal quality, freeze up to 1 month (can be frozen longer but may collect freezer burn)
I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeve that make the reheated version almost better than fresh?! I mean they’re both super delicious, but we’re all about saving time here!
How to Reheat Healthy Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos (& Prevent Soggy Burritos!)
The best way to reheat your breakfast burritos to prevent them from getting soggy is to reheat in the oven or toaster oven, you’ll end up with a golend, slightly crisp outside and delicious soft and gooey insides!
Hot tip: If you’re short on time in the morning, pop them in the oven or toaster oven while you’re getting ready! That way, this hot breakfast is ready when you are!
Reheat in the Oven/Toaster Oven
- Preheat to 400F. Bake from frozen for 30-35 mins (this is a great option to pop in while you get ready in the morning and have it crispy and waiting for you when you finish!)
Reheating: Shortcut Oven Method
- Defrost in microwave for 1-2 minutes, then bake in the oven or toaster oven at 400F for 10-12 minutes or run through 1-2 round of “toast” setting in a toaster oven.
Reheating in the microwave totally works too! Just make sure not to overheat them as this can lead to soggy burritos! Laying a cloth or paper towel underneath when reheating can also help.
Reheat in the Microwave
- Reheat from frozen in the microwave for approx 2 minutes, flipping half way. All microwaves are different, check after 1 minute and repeat in 1 minute increments as necessary!
Additional Meal Prep Tips for Breakfast Burritos
- Double the amount of veggies in the recipe to use for other recipes throughout the week
- Double this recipe to extend your efforts and have a larger stock of freezer friendly meal prep breakfast burritos!
- If using a hard cheese buy pre-shredded to save yourself time! (These are often on sale and can end up being more cost effective than the bricks of cheese!)
Ingredient Swaps and Recipe Modifications (Dairy Free & Gluten Free Options)
These breakfast burritos are so versatile! As with any recipe, use it as a guide and make swaps to suit your preferences
- Swap spinach for kale
- Cherry tomatoes
- Shredded cheddar, monterey Jack, or cheese blend
- Goat cheese
- Swap for your favorite vegan cheese to make the recipe dairy free
Whole Grain Wrap Swaps
- Try spinach or tomato wraps for a colorful change
- Swap for your favorite gluten free wrap to make recipe gluten free
Are Breakfast Burritos a Balanced Breakfast Option?
These breakfast burritos are a total balanced Plate Method Meal!
- ½ plate veggies from spinach and peppers and onion
- ¼ plate protein from eggs
- ¼ plate carbohydrates from the wrap
- Finish with fat by adding cheese as well as from the cooking oil!
Omg! My stomach is growling just thinking of these!
Nutrition Benefits of Healthy Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
- An excellent source of high-quality protein. Protein is a catalyst for virtually every chemical reaction in the body. In addition, protein is important for growth and maintenance of muscle tissues and helps improve immune function.
- Rich in essential minerals such as zinc, selenium, iron and copper. Essential nutrients are ones that the body cannot synthesize on its own, therefore, essential nutrients need to be obtained through the foods we eat for optimal bodily functioning and health.
- Packed with fat-soluble vitamin K, an important vitamin for the maintenance of good health. Vitamin K plays a role in bone metabolism, regulating calcium levels and blood clotting.
- Spinach contains magnesium, an important mineral for hundreds of biochemical reactions in the human body. Magnesium helps regulate blood pressure and can help reduce insulin resistance.
- Antioxidant-rich thanks to vitamin C! Antioxidants, like vitamin C, help the body fight off free radicals that can cause cellular damage.
- Bell peppers contain an excellent source of potassium which plays an important role in the human body. Potassium is a mineral that assists nerve and muscle communication and helps move nutrients into cells and waste products out of cells.
Whole grain wraps
- Whole grains, wheat in this case, are a great source of fiber that helps stabilize blood sugars and keep us feeling full longer.
- Rich in B vitamins such as folate, thiamine and niacin. B Vitamins are important for energy, red blood cell production and overall cell health.
What to Serve and Pair with Healthy Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos
This breakfast burrito recipe has everything you need for a nutritious and balanced breakfast but if you need a little extra, try pairing it with one of these smoothies! Alternatively, enjoy half of a wrap with a smoothie!
Smoothie Recipes to Try
- 5 Minute Every Day Green Smoothie
- Orange & Ginger Hangover Cure Smoothie
- Chocolate Chia Seed Shake
- After 8 Chocolate Mint Smoothie
If you make these Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos, it would make my day if you would leave a comment and/or star rating below— I love hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @lindsaypleskot so I can see your versions! It makes me so happy to see these recipes come to life in your kitchens! xoPrint
- 18 eggs
- 10 x 12” whole grain wraps
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 5 oz bin of spinach
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 4 bell peppers (orange, yellow or red), sliced
- 1 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (shredded cheddar or cheese blend are also delish!)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional – ¼ cup sundried tomatoes, diced
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Toss peppers and onion with 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and lay out on your baking sheet. Bake peppers for 20-25 minutes until tender. Add spinach right onto the pan for the last 5 minutes of baking, stir and place back in the oven to wilt.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. In a bowl, scramble eggs up with a fork, and add to the heated pan.
- Cook eggs, stirring frequently until cooked through
- Lay your wraps out on a flat surface and start making your breakfast burritos! Start by sprinkling cheese down the middle of the wrap, leaving about 1 ½ inches at either end so you’ll be able to wrap them. Next, divide your vegetable mixture, eggs, cheese and tomatoes if using, between the wraps.
- To wrap the breakfast burritos: Fold the top and bottom (shorter edges) of the wrap in. Fold one of the long edges of the wrap over the egg filling and continue rolling until no more wrap remains.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 2 months (see freezing tip below).
Freezer: After wrapping your breakfast burritos, place in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the freezer to “set” for 15-20 minutes. This will prevent them from sticking together when placed in a container for longer term storage. Once hardened just enough not to stick together, place in an airtight container or ziplock bag (re-usable if possible!). For ideal quality, freeze up to 1 month (can be frozen longer but may collect freezer burn).
See above for food swaps & reheating!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: breakfast burrito, healthy breakfast burrito, meal prep, freezer friendly, prep ahead