This super easy 5 ingredient focaccia bread is the perfect way to get started making homemade bread! The crisp outside and soft inside is the perfect combo, and with endless topping options you can truly make it your own!
Does making your own or any bread intimidate you? I know I certainly felt very intimidated by this task! Haha. But I’m going to g ahead and giveit away right here, focaccia bread is so much easier than you’d think!
It seems like everyone I know took up bread making this year, but I have to admit, I am much more of a cook than a baker.
I remember my Mom making homemade bread when we were growing up, and there’s truly little that compares to walking into the house on a cold winter day (or any day really) to the smell of freshly baked bread!
I put it off as long as I could, but I could not kick that nagging feeling that I just had to try it out! I am so happy I did. I decided to go with focaccia bread because google told me it is the easiest to start with, and it was truly the most fun I’ve had in the kitchen in awhile!
There’s just something about mastering something new, and focaccia bread is pretty hard to screw up!
What You’ll Need
- All purpose Flour
- Instant yeast
- Warm water
- Olive oil
- Toppings of choice: I went with rosemary, cherry tomatoes, and flaky sea salt – highly recommend
How to make Focaccia Bread from Scratch
What you’ll want to note is that there are multiple steps when making focaccia bread. It requires time to let the bread go through a rise and then a rest, but the actual hands on time is minimal!
Step 1: The Rise
Combine flour, salt, yeast and water. Stir well until flour is fully incorporated. Form into a ball and place in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
Step 2: The Rest
Oil a large baking pan (I used 11x 11. You could also do 2 smaller ones). Place your dough ball on the pan and pour 1-2 tbsp olive oil over the ball. Turn to cover it completely in the oil. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let it rest for another 2-3 hours.
Step 4: Prepare & Bake!
Spread the dough out so it’s covering most of the pan. Create dimples in it by pressing straight down into the dough with your fingers. Add your toppings of choice and bake at 425F for 25- 28 minutes.
How to Top Your Focaccia bread
The topping options are truly endless! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Fresh herbs: like rosemary, thyme or basil
- Fresh Fruit: like thinly sliced apples or pears
- Dried fruit: like cranberries, cherries or apricots
- Sundried tomatoes
- Fresh or preserved lemons
How to store Focaccia Bread
On the Counter:
- Store in an airtight bag or container for up to 5 days
In the Freezer:
- Store in an airtight container (I like using reusable zip bags) and freeze up to 3 months.
If you make this recipe don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @lindsaypleskot so I can see your homemade focaccia bread variations! And if you loved it, make sure to leave a comment and star rating below! It truly makes my day seeing these!Print
Homemade Focaccia Bread
- Total Time: 10 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 1 11 x 11 loaf 1x
This easy 5 ingredient focaccia bread is the perfect way to get started with making your own homemade bread! The crisped outside and soft inside makes it perfect for dipping, and with endless topping options you can truly make it your own!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pack, or 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Toppings of choice: I used rosemary & colourful cherry tomatoes
- Flaky sea salt (my personal fave is Maldon)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, and yeast. Stir to combine. Gradually pour water in, mixing with a wooden spoon or spatula. It might seem like your dough is too dry. Avoid adding more water, keep stirring and the flour will incorporate.
3. Form the dough into a ball and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to rise for a minimum 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
4. Grease a XXX pan with olive oil, or butter if you prefer. Add dough ball to the pan and pour 1-2 tbsp of your olive oil over the ball, turn to cover the ball completely. Cover your pan with plastic wrap and let it rise on the counter for another 2-3 hours.
5. Spread the dough out to cover most of the pan. Create dimples by pressing your fingers straight down into the dough – right to the bottom of the pan. This part is fun!
6. Add your toppings (add more than you think you’ll need! As the bread bakes, it stretches out, and trust me, you’ll wish you added more!
7. Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until the top is golden and the bottom is perfectly crisp. Remove bread from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
8. Serve immediately – best with olive oil and vinegar, or warm tomato soup! See notes for storage directions below.
On the Counter: Store in an airtight bag or container for up to 5 days
In the Freezer: Store in an airtight container (I like using reusable zip bags)
- Prep Time: 10 hours
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: all-purpose flour, rosemary, cherry tomatoes
Christina Hrankowski says
My family and I loved this Focaccia Bread! I made this with cherry tomatoes, Italian seasoning & sea salt. The recipe was easy to follow and make. I will definitely be making this again & again!
Amazing! So happy to hear Christina! I love that you were all able to enjoy it together.
Amazing! Delicious! Will be cooking this again and again!!!! Plus I LOVE LINDSAY and her energy!
I’m so happy you enjoyed Kelli-Rae! And thank you for the kind words!! This made my day 🙂 So happy to see you’ll be enjoying this many times to come!