This easy 5 ingredient focaccia bread is the perfect way to get started with making your own homemade bread! The crisped outside and soft inside makes it perfect for dipping, and with endless topping options you can truly make it your own!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pack, or 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Toppings of choice: I used rosemary & colourful cherry tomatoes
- Flaky sea salt (my personal fave is Maldon)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. In a medium size mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, and yeast. Stir to combine. Gradually pour water in, mixing with a wooden spoon or spatula. It might seem like your dough is too dry. Avoid adding more water, keep stirring and the flour will incorporate.
3. Form the dough into a ball and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to rise for a minimum 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
4. Grease a XXX pan with olive oil, or butter if you prefer. Add dough ball to the pan and pour 1-2 tbsp of your olive oil over the ball, turn to cover the ball completely. Cover your pan with plastic wrap and let it rise on the counter for another 2-3 hours.
5. Spread the dough out to cover most of the pan. Create dimples by pressing your fingers straight down into the dough – right to the bottom of the pan. This part is fun!
6. Add your toppings (add more than you think you’ll need! As the bread bakes, it stretches out, and trust me, you’ll wish you added more!
7. Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until the top is golden and the bottom is perfectly crisp. Remove bread from the pan and place on a cooling rack.
8. Serve immediately – best with olive oil and vinegar, or warm tomato soup! See notes for storage directions below.
On the Counter: Store in an airtight bag or container for up to 5 days
In the Freezer: Store in an airtight container (I like using reusable zip bags)
- Method: Baked
Keywords: homemade bread, DIY bread, bread making