This lightened-up version of a comfort food favorite is the perfect remedy for those cold winter nights. Enjoy!Print
This comfort food favorite is made with flavorful ground turkey and a boost of veggies like mushrooms and zucchini. The perfect balanced meal for those cozy fall or winter nights!
- 1 tsp avocado or grapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp thyme
- Dash Worcestershire
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 small can of corn
- 2 medium russet potatoes, quartered or smaller
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 tbsp of butter
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until fragrant and onion starts to become clear.
- Add bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms. Cook until starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add potatoes and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Add ground turkey to vegetable mixture, cook until no longer pink, approx 6-8 minutes.
- Add stock and heat until boiling, push ingredients to the sides of the pan and make an opening in the middle of the pan, add flour 1-2 tsp at a time, whisk until dissolved and sauce thickens. May add additional stock if you like a saucier filling.
- Add corn and stir until mixed in. Add salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Remove pan from heat and place in an oven-safe dish.
- Add milk and butter to potatoes and mash until smooth, add more milk if needed. salt and pepper to taste
- Spread potato mixture over ground turkey mixture
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake at 375F for ~30 minutes or until potatoes start to brown. (May want to broil for the last 5 miutes to get it nice and crisp)
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: European
Keywords: comfort food, fall, winter, casserole