This quick and easy recipe that can be used as your main dish or as a side with chicken, fish, or whatever tickles your fancy. Chickpeas are a great source of vegetarian protein and a great way to bump up your dietary fibre. Enjoy!
This quinoa salad is a great batch prep lunch recipe. Packed with protein, fiber and colorful veggies, it will leave you satisfied!
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock, reduced sodium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly-cracked pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 x 19 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Optional: ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Bring quinoa and stock to a boil in a small pot. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and grain has opened up.
- While quinoa is cooking, whisk together oil, vinegar, salt and a generous amount of pepper. When quinoa is finished cooking, add the dressing and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, onion, feta and herbs. Once quinoa is cool, add everything together and toss gently.
- Add any extra salt and pepper if needed. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make this recipe vegan by leaving out the feta cheese or substituting for your favorite dairy free option!
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Quick and easy, Versatile
Nutrition Facts: Per serving (approx. 1 cup)
Calories (kcal) 245.2 Fat (g) 8.9 Saturated Fat (g) 2.2 Trans Fat (g) 0.0 Cholesterol (mg) 6.7 Sodium (mg) 398.1 Potassium (mg) 545.6 Carbohydrate (g) 30.9 Fibre (g) 1.9 Sugar (g) 4.2 Protein (g) 10.6 Vitamin A (RAE) 27.1 Vitamin C (mg) 7.5 Calcium (mg) 98.1 Iron (mg) 2.6 Vitamin D (μg) 0.0 Vitamin E (mg) 1.9 Thiamin (mg) 0.2 Riboflavin (mg) 0.2 Niacin (NE) 3.5 Folate (DFE) 85.0 Vitamin B6 (mg) 0.2 Vitamin B12 (μg) 0.2