I was home for the weekend visiting my family and my mom made this delicious soup. It was so good I thought I just had to share it! It’s full of flavor and all kinds of nutritious goodness. It makes quite a bit so if you have any left over, it’s the perfect meal to freeze in single portions for quick and easy lunches.
Recipe adapted from Crazy Plates Cookbook by Janet & Greta PodleskiPrint
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
A soup satisfying enough to stand alone as a complete meal, this flavorful soup is packed with delicious ingredients like chicken, quinoa, and apples that compliment the coconut curry base. Freezes well as a batch prep meal!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup each celery, onions,and carrots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can tomatoes, drained and cut up
- ¾ cup quinoa, dry
- ½ tsp freshly-cracked pepper
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add celery, onions, carrots, and garlic. Cook and stir for 3 – 4 minutes until vegetables begin to soften and onions become translucent.
- Add chicken and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add curry powder, chili powder, and cumin and stir for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, quinoa, and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add apples, coconut milk and parsley. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and enjoy!
If you don’t have cumin or chili powder lying around, add an extra 1-2 tsp curry powder.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Indian Fusion
Keywords: frezer meals, family meal planning, batch prep
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe