Photo Credit: White Water Cooks: at home. When I made them they were too good, I forgot to take a pic before they were all gone!
If you’ve never perused through a White Water Cookbook, you probably want to. The pages are filled with vibrant recipes, great for entertaining and family eating. I was first introduced to this recipe from my Momma and it has been a favorite ever since! This is one of those recipes that you wouldn’t want to eat every day, but is way too delicious not to share! As I always say, being healthy is all about balance… this is the perfect appie if you’re looking to impress some guests or feel like treating yourself! Thank you White Water Cooks for the delicious recipe!
This appy is a family favorite. Great for entertaining or a cozy night in.
- 1 bag large prawns
- 200g thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1–2 tbsp shredded coconut (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2–3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 egg
- If prawns are frozen, thaw them by placing in a bowl of lukewarm water. Peel prawns, leaving the tails on.
- Trim off visible fat and cut each piece of prosciutto into 3-4 slices, lengthwise.
- Trim the stems off the basil and cut each leaf into 2 or 3 strips, lengthwise.
- combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, parsley, pepper and coconut if you’ve chosen to use it.
- crack the egg into another small bowl and whisk until mixed
- With each prawn, rub a small amount of oil, wrap with a strip of basil followed by a strip of prosciutto overtop.
- Dip the prawn in the egg and then the breadcrumb mixture.
- Once all prawns are breaded warm the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is heated, place prawns in the pan, cook 2-3mins on each side, until golden brown.
- Remove and place on a paper towl to soak up some of the extra oil.
- Plate the prawns and squeeze with lemon.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: summer, entertaining