As you know, beets are one of my favorite additions to a dish to make it not only delicious, but give it amazing presentation as well (remember this beet hummus?) This Delicious winter (or summer) salad is no different.
One thing I love about kale salads is that you can make a big batch to have for leftovers, and even dress it and the leaves won’t go soggy. The leaves are much tougher than other greens, so I actually often like kale salads even better in the following days once the dressing has really soaked in and marinated the leaves. If you’re a first time kale eater, I may even suggest trying this right off the bat. Make the salad in advance for a more tender, flavorful dish.
Enjoy this hearty salad as a side or main. It’s got everything you need with lentils providing a nutritious plant based protein, creaminess from the goat cheese and dressing and a nice crunch from the Pumpkin seeds. Did you know that pumpkin seeds have 3x the amount of iron as most other nuts or seeds?! 15% of your daily requirements in just 2 Tbsp.
Eat up, your body will thank you!Print
Roasted Beet and Kale Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
This dressing is so good I could drink it right out of the bottle. But I’d say this hearty beet and kale salad is a better bet. It’s a perfect way to enjoy those winter vegetables but equally delicious any time of year!
- 1 large bunch of curly kale, thick middle stem removed and ripped into bite sized pieces
- 1 golden beet
- 1 red beet
- 1 19 oz can of lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, salted
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp warm water
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Remove the stem and root from the beets, and scrub them clean under warm water.
- Rip off two piece of tinfoil, large enough to wrap all the way around the beets. Set the beets on the foil and drizzle with a drop of avocado oil and rub it over the surface of the beets. Wrap each one tightly with foil and roast for about an hour or until easily pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk with a fork until well combined.
- In a large mixing or serving bowl, combine the kale and the dressing and toss to coat evenly (you may need to get your hands in there to really coat the leaves)
- Add the lentils, goat cheese and pumpkin seeds.
- Once your beets are cooled, peel off the skin and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Plate the salad, top with the beets, serve and enjoy!
- Time Saving Hackd: use pre-cooked and peeled beets
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour (use pre cooked beets to skip this step)
- Category: Salads, Sides
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: winter vegetables, greens, kale
Michelle D. says
My aunt made this recipe for dinner on the weekend and I had to stop in and leave a comment – YUMMY!!! Will definitely make this again!!
Oh amazing! So happy to hear that Michelle. Glad you enjoyed!