These soft and gooey salted caramel energy balls are slightly modified from my old fave recipe. They are the perfect snack to satisfy that sweet tooth without the crash!
We are officially gearing up for baby! We spent the past weekend starting to get the nursery set up. It all feels a bit surreal but we are getting so excited to meet this little nugget!
As I’m trying to get ahead with work so I can take a bit of downtime, I recently polled you guys on Instagram to see what kind of stuff you want to see on the blog and YouTube. I’m really hoping that over the next 6 weeks I get busy in the kitchen and pre filming some videos so that I can keep the recipes and info coming for you guys while I’m off – ish. Haha
There were a ton of requests for on the go snacks, specifically energy balls – this one is my absolute faaave and has been a regular in our rotation for years not. If you’ve been around here for awhile, you may remember a very similar recipe a few years back. I’ve perfected the recipe and plus, I know how those recipes can get burried in the archives so I’m bring this one back!
I recommend doubling the batch and stocking some extras in the freezer, which I will definitely be doing – also on the to do list, as recommended from some fellow mommas, stock up on easy to grab one handed snacks and meals to stay fueled in those first (wonderful) but potentially chaotic months. Haha.
Without further adieu – energy ball time!
I’m back at it again with more energy balls! Because, well, you can never have too many snack options and these ones were just WAY too good not to share!
I had never made energy balls with cashews before and I seriously could not get over the texture of these once they were all blended up!! They are so creamy and seriously taste just like salted caramel!
One thing to note when you are making these is that they will be quite oily, this is just the natural (and healthy!) fats coming out of the nuts as they are blended. Other balls that I have made in the past like these Lemon Coconut, Chocolate Peanut Butter or Pumpkin Pie have included additional ingredients like oats that soak up more of the excess liquids- neither is better than another, they are just different, but for these ones I really wanted to keep the caramel-like texture so kept them simple. Just a warning that you may end up with some extra oil in the bottom of your bowl and that is totally normal!
You can eat them just as is or play around with rolling them in different toppings. I ended up going with my favorites- coconut and raw cacao powder but I think they’d also be really good with some chopped pistachios or toasted pecans.
I always seem to be carrying these around in my purse and they are the perfect pick me up for a mid-morning snack or a little something sweet after dinner.
Enjoy! And leave a comment below if you try them out! What are your favorite grab and go snacks?
These soft and gooey salted caramel energy balls are the perfect snack to satisfy that sweet tooth without the crash!
- 1 cup cashews, raw
- ½ cup almonds, raw
- 1 Cup Dates (soak in boiling if not super fresh/soft
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sprinkle of coarse salt to taste
- ¼ – ⅓ cup warm or boiling water if needed for smoother consistency if using food processor
- Optional- shredded unsweetened coconut and/or raw cacao or cocoa powder to roll them in at the end
- In a Vitamix or high powered blender, combine all ingredients and blend on high. Use your wand as you blend to keep ingredients moving. Alternatively use a food processor. You will need to stop as you go and use a spatula to push down the sides of your mixture. You will also likely need to add warm water to thin out the paste a bit.
- Keep blending until ingredients form a smooth paste, adding water as needed.
- Use your hands to form into 18 evenly sized balls (Note: Mixture will be a bit oily, this is normal, it is just those healthy fats from the nuts releasing!)
- Add an extra sprinkle of sea salt and roll in coconut and/0r raw cacao powder if desired.
- Keep in an airtight container to snack on during the week or store in the freezer to eat as you please!
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: Vegan Snacks, Kid Friendly Recipes, Easy Snacks, Healthy Sweets, Meal Prep Recipes
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL LOVE IT TOO!