You guys, I am really excited about this recipe. It is soo flavorful, and the colors! I just want to stare at these Shrimp and Dragon Fruit Street Tacos. That is until I smell the fiery cajun and start salivating as I think about how good they’re gonna be when they enter my mouth!
Last week I shared a bit more about the story behind Level Ground. If you couldn’t tell, I’m really passionate about what they do. And lucky for us, the quality of their products is just as stand up as the mission behind them.
Along with giving me a whole different perspective of what coffee should be, their dried fruit has done the same. No preservatives and one simple ingredient – organic fruit – provides for the freshest real food flavor. I’ve been known to get a person or two hooked on the dried mango. When they told me they were going to be bringing dragon fruit to the lineup, I knew there were some good snacks and recipes in the making!
I wanted these tacos to be a dish that would nourish body, mind, and soul – they are packed with body energizing ingredients from cruciferous cabbage to fight inflammation, mango for a kick of antioxidant vitamin C, and protein packed prawns tossed in a kick of cajun that balances perfectly with the sweetness of the fruit.
If you’ve been practicing a more mindful approach to eating, take in the colors, smells, and textures of this meal. The crunch of the dragon fruit seeds is such a nice finishing touch! These are also the perfect quick and easy (shhh! Don’t tell anyone!) dish to whip up for guests. Keep all of the toppings separate for a little taco bar so guests can top as they please!
And if you enjoyed the story from last week as much as I did when I first heard it, here’s a little story about Simon, the face of this package, from when Robyn got to meet him. “ Simon is the best! I went there in January and fell in love! Okay, not actually, but we became best friends. He is the sweetest man. One night he drove over an hour to come meet us for dinner again. Just the biggest sweetheart! And I wasn’t feeling great at dinner one night so he left to drive me back, just seriously the nicest guy I’ve ever met!”
Thank you, Simon for this delicious and beautiful Dragon fruit!
Robyn and Simon, instant best budsPrint
Because you can never have too many tacos. Shrimp tacos are one of my all times faces. Enjoy the tropical twist with mango and dragonfruit. Pescatarian
- 8 small corn tortillas (approx 25g size)
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Mango Dragonfruit Slaw
- ½ of a fresh mango, julienned
- ½ cup purple cabbage, julienned
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and diced (keep some of the seeds if you like it spicy!)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Level Ground Dried Dragonfruit, crumbled
- 1 Avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Combine all Slaw ingredients, except for the dragonfruit, in a small bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Next, combine the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine. Add the shrimp and toss to coat evenly.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Once hot, add garlic (you can test this by adding a small amount of garlic, it should start sizzling). Saute until it starts to become fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and allow them to brown on the first side without stirring, 2-3 minutes. This will allow the flavor to build.
- Flip them over and cook another 2 minutes or so, until opaque. Turn off the heat and give them a stir. Allow them to sit in the pan for another couple of minutes. The residual heat will gently finish cooking them.
- Just before dishing up, add the dragonfruit to the Slaw. This will ensure it stays nice and crunchy!
- Heat your tortillas in the microwave or oven if you prefer them warm. Divide onto plates and top with the shrimp, Avocado, Slaw and finish with cilantro to garnish.
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: easy, weeknight meal, cinco de mayo
SHOP THE POST
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL LOVE IT TOO!