I hope you enjoy my trick for the juiciest meatballs you’ve ever had!
- ¾ cup dry quinoa (I used GRAIN’s Golden Quinoa)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 lb ground turkey
- Coarse salt and freshly-cracker pepper (approx. ¼ tsp each)
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced & divided
- ¼ cup + ¼ cup red onion, diced & divided
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 x 25 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine
- ¼ cup oregano, minced (or 1 Tbsp dried)
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
- Get quinoa cooking. Cook according to package directions.
- Next, add breadcrumbs to a small bowl and cover with milk. Set aside and allow the milk to soak in, approx 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine turkey, salt and pepper, ¼ cup parsley, onion and egg in a medium-sized mixing bowl. When all of the milk has soaked into the breadcrumbs add to the ground turkey mixture and use a fork to mix all ingredients until well combined (or go ahead and get your hands in there to mix!). Mixture will be quite wet, but will hold together once cooked.
- Roll into 8-10 large meatballs.
- Heat oil in your cast iron pan over medium-high eat. Allow to heat up for 1-2 minutes. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant. Next add the meatballs and sear on all sides, approximately 1-2 minutes each side or until golden brown (You may need to add a bit more olive oil as you go).
- Keep the meatballs in the pan and add your tomato sauce, red wine and oregano. Simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow flavor to develop.
- Right before serving, sprinkle generously with freshly-grated Parmesan and remaining Parsley and dish up onto your quinoa.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Comfort Food, High Protein