This recipes comes together for a quick, balanced weeknight meal. It is packed with protein, fiber, fresh vegetables and herbs for a filling satisfying meal!
Note: This recipe is from The 3-2-1 Method Meal Plans where some ingredients have been prepped ahead of time. If you don’t have anything prepped, it will take closer to 30 minutes but is still a simple meal to throw togehter! I’ve included instructions for both in the recipe below.
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked (approx 1/2 cup uncooked)
- 1 lb ground turkey, cooked
- 1–2 Tbsp olive oil (if prepping ground turkey from scratch)
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 yellow pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 English cucumber, cut into cubes
- 1 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 2 lime
Note: If you don’t have your quinoa and ground turkey prepped ahead of time, see notes below for how to!
- To a medium-sized frying pan, add cooked ground turkey, fish sauce, sugar, and water. Heat, stirring until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3-4 minutes
- Add cooked quinoa and stir to combine, cooking until heated through, 1-2 minutes
- Remove from heat and add peppers, cucumber and lime juice.
- Plate and top with chopped peanuts and a squeeze of lime if desired.
If prepping from scratch –
- Start with Quinoa:
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Quinoa about quadruples in volume once cooked. Approx. 1/2 cup dry quinoa will yield 2 cups cooked.
- Next, Brown Turkey:
- Heat 1-2 Tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, breaking it up and spreading it out over the pan. Season with salt & pepper
- Let the turkey brown on the first side, 4-5 minutes. Don’t stir too frequently, this prevents the actually browning which is where all the flavor builds!
- Flip the turkey over to brown on the other side, breaking it up into pieces with a spoon
- Finish by washing & cutting up veggies & mint while quinoa & turkey cook.
- Ground turkey: ground chicken, ground beef, veggie ground round, lentils, crumbled tempeh or tofu, or edamame beans
- Quinoa: millet, couscous, rice
- Cucumber & Yellow Pepper: zucchini, radish, snap peas
- Substitute for Fish Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce + Juice of 1/2 -1 lime
- 1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce + 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: weeknight meal, turkey, quinoa, balanced meal