Hearty farro provides a delicious base for this grain salad. Serve with your favorite protein for dinner or bring as is to your next potluck! Also great as a batch prep salad for a week day lunch you’ll look forward to all week! Vegetarian, can be made vegan by subbing the parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup GRAIN Farro
- 2 cobs corn, kernels removed (or 2 cups frozen corn)
- 2 chopped leeks, whites only
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 9 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher or coarse sea salt
- Up to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Fresh basil leaves, cut into thin ribbons
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Place water and GRAIN Farro in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring to a simmer and cook, covered, until beginning to get tender, about 25 minutes.
- While the Farro pre-cooks, prepare the other ingredients and set aside. At the 25 minute mark, remove the lid and add the leeks, corn, garlic, tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and red pepper flakes. Set a timer for 30 minutes and bring the uncovered pan (no lid necessary) up to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally.
- When the timer rings, the Farro should be perfectly cooked (tender but with a meaty chew), seasoned and the cooking water should be almost completely absorbed. If needed, cook it for 5 or so additional minutes, until the Farro is more tender and all of the water is absorbed.
- Transfer to a wide serving bowl. If there’s enough leftover cooking liquid to be bothersome, simply use a slotted spoon to leave the amount you wish to behind. Drizzle Farro lightly with additional olive oil, scatter with basil and parmesan. Eat immediately. (Repeat tomorrow).
- Make it vegan by subbing nutritional yeast for the parmesan cheese
- Alternative vegetables to add or swap in: zucchini, bell peppers or patty pan squash
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: One pan, Easy meals