This creamy mushroom risotto is delicious, nutritious, and can be made vegan! The combination of different mushrooms in this recipe adds a ton of rich flavor with a major anti-oxidant boost.
- 1 1/2 lbs mixed mushrooms (I used shitake, cremini, and white button mushrooms), sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6–8 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups + 1/2–1 cup vegetable or mushroom stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1–2 Tbsp salted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add mushrooms, garlic, thyme, 2 Tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir to coat mushrooms evenly. Roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat for approx. 2-3 minutes. Add shallots and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally (approx. 3-4 minutes).
- Add rice and cook for another 3-4 minutes until rice is translucent, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- Add wine and cook, stirring until most of the wine has evaporated then add the 3 cups of vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Once at a simmer, turn off heat, cover the Dutch oven and place in the oven to bake until liquid is mostly absorbed (approx. 18-20 minutes).
- Remove from the oven once liquid is almost completely absorbed. Place back on the stove over medium-high heat and stir in the roasted mushrooms and remaining vegetable stock. Start with 1/2 cup of stock, adding more as needed to achieve desired consistency. You want liquid to be mostly absorbed and a creamy texture to the risotto. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese and butter.
- Serve with a sprinkle of thyme, more parmesan cheese if desired and your favorite protein (I love serving with scallops!)
To make it vegan:
- swap for vegan butter or skip altogether!
- Parmesan cheese: swap for nutritional yeast. Start with 2 Tbsp. and increase to taste
- I have also done this with half mushroom and half vegetable stock and it was delish but either or is also great on it’s own. Alternatively sub for chicken stock if that’s what you have on hand!
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: mushrooms, vegan, vegetarian, meal prep, weeknight meals, antioxidants, vitamin B, comfort food recipe