- 4 cups cherry tomatoes or 5–6 large tomatoes or 10 roma tomatoes
- 6 tbsps olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- salt + pepper
- 5 anchovy fillets (omit for vegan version)
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 lb whole grain or gluten-free pasta (i love this brand)
- 1/2 cup basil
- parmesan cheese or hemp seeds
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Slice tomatoes in half, drizzle with one to two tablespoons olive oil, and toss with a pinch of salt and pepper. Arrange on a parchment paper-lined sheet tray and roast for 3-4 hours. Smaller tomatoes take approximately 2 hours, larger closer to 4 hours. Store for later use or set aside. *When short on time, I have increased the cooking temperature to 300 degrees which shortens the cooking by an hour or so, depending on how roasted you prefer you tomatoes and how large in size they may be.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees. On a parchment paper-lined sheet tray, toss cubed eggplant with 4 tablespoons olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes, tossing half way through cooking until eggplant is caramelized. Set aside.
- Cook pasta until just al dente. Drain reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm one tablespoon olive oil. Add anchovies, garlic, and chili flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes until the anchovies melt apart. Toss in tomatoes and eggplant and cook for another minute. Add 1/4 cup pasta water and pasta, stir until well combined and the flavors are melded together. Remove from heat, transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish with torn basil, parm, or hemp seeds.