This cozy, homemade tomato soup includes steel cut oats and red lentils for added fibre and iron. It’s a healthy tomato soup recipe that’s incredibly flavorful. Vegan option included.
- 2 cans (28 oz/796ml each) whole tomatoes
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) brown sugar
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large red onion
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 can red lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 slices of bread
- Drizzle olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 –1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or a sprinkle of nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Drain the canned tomatoes in a colander set over a bowl. Using your hands, gently break open the tomatoes allowing more juice to drain into the bowls. Reserve the juices.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil and arrange tomatoes in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with sugar. Roast for 30 minutes.
- While tomatoes are roasting, in a large soup pot, sauté onions in a small amount of olive oil until cooked through and brown in some places.
- Add the stock, reserved tomato juices, tomato paste, sun-dried tomatoes, herbs and lentils.
- Stir well and let it come to a simmer.
- Once the tomatoes have been roasting for 30 minutes, add the garlic cloves and cook until soft, about 10-15 minutes. Coarsely mash the roasted tomatoes and garlic with the back of a fork and add to the soup.
- Add the oats and simmer everything for another 15-20 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and enjoy as is or add to a blender or food processor for a creamy tomato soup.
- Finish with a sprinkle with some freshly grated parmesan, fresh thyme and croutons (instructions for home made croutons below).
- Drizzle bread with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Parmesan to taste.
- Place in oven or toaster oven until quite crisp and dark around the edges.
- Cut into small pieces.
To make vegan: Sub chicken stock for vegetable stock and sub parmesan for nutritional yeast.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: soup, comfort food, iron rich