This juicy chicken burger recipe has a quick prep time, is easy to put together, and is packed with all of the ingredients reminiscent of your favourite buffalo chicken wings. Celery, blue cheese and chicken make up the patties, and golden potato buns are the perfect compliment for this mouth-watering burger!
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup blue cheese
- 2 stalks celery, diced (approx ¼ cup diced)
- ¼ tsp each salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp hot sauce of choice (I used Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 Portofino Golden Potato Bun
- Lettuce and tomato to garnish
- Other optional toppings: avocado, pickle, ranch dressing (try my homemade Greek yogurt ranch or use your favorite store-bought option) or mayo, more hot sauce to top if desired.
- Add the breadcrumbs and milk to a small bowl and let the crumbs soak up the milk for 5-10 minutes (*This is the key to moist, juicy burgers! Soaking the crumbs in milk first prevents them from soaking up the juices from the meat).
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken, breadcrumb and milk mixture, celery, hot sauce, egg, salt and pepper. Stir ingredients with a fork to combine, being careful not to over mix as this will make for tougher burgers. Add the blue cheese last and fold in gently to leave some big pieces in the burger patties.
- The mixture will be quite wet. That’s what makes them extra juicy! But if they are too wet to shape, add more dry breadcrumbs as needed. Shape the mixture into four to six evenly-sized patties, pressing the middles down with your thumb to make a small dip in the center.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot (it will shimmer a bit when hot – approx. 2 minutes), place burger patties gently onto the pan to make sure they don’t fall apart.
- Cook for 11 minutes on the first side, leaving them undisturbed while they cook. This will allow them to brown which creates flavor, and prevent them from falling apart. Flip and cook an additional 4-5 minutes on the other side until cooked all the way through. You’ll know they’re cooked when juices run clear and no pink remains when you cut through the patty.
- Assemble your burgers with desired toppings and enjoy!
- To make this a balanced plate method meal, I suggest serving with a side salad or grilled vegetables.
- Ground Chicken can be replaced with ground turkey, ground beef or any other ground meat of choice! These could also be made plant-based with your favorite plant based “ground” alternative. If wanting to make vegan, replace egg with a flax or chia egg.
- Blue Cheese can be replaced with goat cheese, feta cheese or even grated cheddar or asiago cheese. You can also leave the cheese out if you prefer!
- Celery can be replaced with grated zucchini or carrots or left out entirely.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: summer recipes, barbecue recipes, picnic recipes