Brownies…who doesn’t love them? And when they’re packed full of protein, fiber and enough Vitamin A to give you laser vision, they’re just that much more lovable!
I’ve been wanting to test out some sweet potato brownies for awhile now and when I recently came across Genuine Health’s awesome products, the inspiration hit! Why not make these the real deal and pack them full of fermented vegan protein too!
I am not vegan but I do love the power of plants and I always love having good options for quality ingredients to create recipes for all of you plant-based eaters! Finding a good vegan protein powder is not an easy task, so when I was introduced to this stuff, I was more than intrigued by the added benefit of them being fermented. I don’t know how familiar you guys are with protein powders, but they are known for giving competition to beans beans the magical fruit…Let’s just say they are not always favorable for the digestive tract. Fermented foods help promote the good bacteria in our gut and also help us absorb more nutrients from the foods we eat.
These brownies are packed with whole food ingredients and with the added bonus of the extra protein, they won’t spike your blood sugars like your traditional sweets. But shhhh….don’t tell whoever you’re sharing these with, they’ll never know the difference! With all of the nutrient dense foods in this recipe, I had to play around with it a bit to make sure that they were just as soft, sweet and satisfying as the brownies you have come to know and love but I think I’ve finally found the perfect combo!
Let me know what you think! Do you guys have any creative ways of using protein powder for that extra kick in your recipes? Let me know in the comments below and be sure to share your creations with me on Instagram using #inthekitchenwithLP!
Genuine(ly) Health(ly) Sweet Potato Protein Brownies
Makes 12-16 brownies
- 2 small sweet potatoes or yams (approx. 2 cups cooked)
- ⅔ cup almonds meal (I blended whole almonds using my Vitamix)
- ⅔ cup oat flour (Also blended whole rolled oats in my Vitamix)
- 3 Tbsp raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 2 Scoops Genuine Health Chocolate Vegan fermented Proteins + (approx ⅔ cup)
- 12 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp pure Maple Syrup
- Pinch of sea salt (approx. ⅛ tsp)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Wash your yams and poke a few holes in the skin using a fork (this will ensure it doesn’t explode in the oven;)). Place them in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes until soft. Alternatively you can cube your yam and steam it if you’re in more of a time crunch but I like the hands off method of baking.
- Meanwhile, blend your almonds and oats into a fine powder using your Vitamix or high powered blender or food processor. Add to a medium-sized bowl and combine with your cacao powder and protein powder and set aside.
- Once your yams are cooked through, allow them to cool enough to handle, then cut in half and squeeze or scoop the insides out into your blender. Add the dates, vanilla, Maple syrup, salt and melted coconut oil. Blend on high, using your baton or a spatula as needed to scrape down the sides and allow mixture to fully combine.
- Line an 8x11 baking dish with parchment paper and pour your batter into the pan. It will be quite thick. Use the back of a fork or spatula to spread the mixture out evenly.
- Place in the oven to bake for 40-50 minutes (I took mine out at 45 mins). The brownies are done when you can insert a cake tester or knife and it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven once cooked through and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut into 12-16 pieces and Enjoy!
*Note: They will continue to soften if they are stored in an airtight container so if they turn out a little drier than you like, this will help. If they are already moist enough, you may wish to just cover with a lid but not seal it.
SHOP THE POST
PS- Are you in the Community yet!? Join my new FREE Eat Well Live Well Facebook Community for daily tips, recipes, and motivation. Comment on one of the posts inside to let me know what you want to learn about and I’ll be sure to create some awesome content just for you! All you have to do is click on this link and hit the “Join” button. See you inside!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL LOVE IT TOO!