I have to admit, salads aren’t always my first choice in the winter months but I have not been able to get enough of this one. It is definitely one that I will be transitioning into spring and summer. It pairs with pretty much anything. Seafood, steak, or even some grilled Haloumi cheese.
I have been a little obsessed with blood oranges lately. They are so juicy and have such delicious flavor. They are known to be a bit less acidic than regular navel oranges with a bit of berry undertones…I feel like I’m describing a wine. Maybe that’s why I like them so much 😉
Interestingly, blood oranges are packed with even more Vitamin C than their navel counterparts and also contain higher levels of anthocyanin, a disease-fighting antioxidant that gives it it’s unique pigmentation. With soluble fiber to balance blood sugars and keep your gut healthy, they are the full package!
I hope you enjoy this refreshing salad as much as we have been in our household! And if you’re new to blood oranges, be prepared for your new obsession.
The creaminess of the avocado is perfect in this salad. I have also tried it with toasted almonds and feta cheese when I was out of avocado. Both are delicious! Let me know which combo you like best and what you think of those beautiful and delicious blood oranges. Leave a comment below and be sure to share your creations with me on Instagram using #makefoodfeelgood
This light and refreshing salad is perfect for summer. As a bonus, it is packed with Vitamin C from blood oranges, and grapefruit for healthy skin and immune function. The fresh mint and creamy avocado are the perfect finishing touch. Ready in 15 minutes. Vegan.
- 8 cups arugula or mixed greens (I love it with arugula but if you find the flavor too strong, try mixing it with or opting altogether for mixed greens)
- ¼ – ⅓ cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp regular balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp peach white balsamic vinegar (you can also sub this for more regular balsamic if you don’t have any flavored)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and freshly-cracked pepper to taste
- Prepare your oranges and grapefruit and set aside.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl, whisk with a fork until well combined (the dijon mustard will act as an emulsifier and keep the dressing together). Add more olive oil if you find it too tart.
- On a large platter, arrange the arugula and sprinkle with mint, give it a few tosses to combine.
- Layer your greens with the orange and grapefruit. Finally, top with your sliced avocado.
- Drizzle with your dressing, serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: Summer Recipe, Quick
PS- Are you in the Community yet!? Join my new FREE Eat Well Live Well Facebook Community for daily tips, recipes, and motivation. Comment on one of the posts inside to let me know what you want to learn about and I’ll be sure to create some awesome content just for you! All you have to do is click on this link and hit the “Join” button. See you inside!
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL LOVE IT TOO!