Last week we dove into New Year’s resolutions with a theme of balance and incorporating incremental goals that feel good body, mind, and soul. One small change that can really add up is getting your greens daily. This doesn’t have to mean boring salads day in and day out. There are so many ways to incorporate fresh, delicious greens into your diet, and the benefits are endless.
Packed with fiber, antioxidants and a stack of feel good vitamins and minerals to energize and help naturally detox those cells, greens are unshakable in maintaining their reputation as a staple in a feel good diet.
One of my favorite ways to pack in the greens and pile on the flavor is with a fresh pesto. I’ve added a couple of extra ingredients from your traditional pesto recipes for some added benefits and a super delicious way to get more greens. Inspired Greens Green Oak living lettuce leaves add such a nice freshness. These leafies have become a staple in our kitchen. I love that I can enjoy local Canadian Grown lettuce all year round, and because they’re still attached to their root, they stay fresh and retain more of their nutritional properties until you’re ready to eat them!
Throw in some Omega-3 rich walnuts and extra-virgin olive oil for a dose of healthy fats, this pesto covers all the bases!
Some of my favorite ways to eat it:
- Spread on crackers or rice cakes with tomato or avocado for an energizing afternoon snack
- Add to sandwiches and wraps for a more interesting desk lunch
- Mix into Greek yogurt or add to your favorite hummus for a little extra zing to dip your veggies into
- Use as a super quick and flavorful pasta sauce
- Add a bit more olive oil and dilute with vinegar or lemon juice for a flavor packed salad dressing
Tip: Make a batch and freeze in ice cube trays to have on hand for quick weeknight meals
Inspired Greens Superfood Pesto
- Total Time: 10 minutes
Add this pesto to hummus or yogurt for a super charged dip, or enjoy on pasta, sandwiches or eggs. This pesto packs all the flavor and an extra antioxidant boost from walnuts and greens. Vegetarian. Vegan option noted.
- 1 cup Inspired Greens Green Oak Lettuce
- 1 cup basil
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated or shredded (swap for nutritional yeast to make it vegan)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until a smooth paste is formed, stopping as needed to scrape down the sides with a small spatula or fork.
- Enjoy with your favorite pasta, crackers or dips!
- Swap Parmesan Cheese for 1-2 Tbsp nutritional yeast to make this pesto vegan
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Snacks, Appetizers
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: easy, quick, greens
SHOP THE POST
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL LOVE IT TOO!
Leave a Comment & Rate this Recipe