Melty, chocolatey, peanut butter goodness! This recipe for DIY peanut butter cups uses dark chocolate, coconut oil and natural peanut butter. They’re also vegan and gluten free! Keep a batch in the fridge or freezer for whenever you want a healthy treat!
Peanut butter cups are one of my childhood chocolate favourites! If you love them too, this homemade peanut butter cups recipe will not disappoint! Not only is this recipe easy, but it uses minimal (and nutrient packed) ingredients! (You may want to cook up a side of these healthy chicken tenders with homemade honey mustard while you’re at it and have a real childhood throwback!)
The ingredients that make up these delicious and vegan peanut butter cups include:
- Dark chocolate
- Natural peanut butter
- Coconut oil
- And a sprinkle of sea salt, optional, but highly recommended!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ingredients and Benefits
- Dark chocolate contains antioxidants that help fight off free radicals that can cause damage to our cells!
Minerals that the body cannot synthesize on its own are considered essential. Dark chocolate contains a good source of essential minerals including:
Natural Peanut Butter
- Plays a role in the production of certain enzymes, hormones, and other chemical reactions in the body.
- Important for building and repairing muscle tissues.
- Plays a key role in digestive health, it helps keep things regular!
- Slows down digestion which helps keep the body feeling full longer after eating and slows the rate blood sugars rise.
- Fat-soluble vitamin and powerful antioxidant.
- Plays a role in immune health by helping the body fight off infection, and also helps support eye health.
How to Store Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
These dark chocolate peanut butter cups are one of my favorite prep ahead treats! They store well in the fridge and freezer to pull out whenever you’ve got the craving!
Fridge: Once set, store in an reusable bag or airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Freezer: Once set, store in an reusable bag or airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can eat them frozen or take them out and let them sit on the counter for 30-60 minutes to soften before eating!
Other Recipes you Might Like
- Homemade Dark Chocolate Fruit and Nut Bars
- Chocolate Chia Shake
- Chocolate Zuchini muffins
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
This homemade peanut butter cup recipe really could not get any more simple, and there’s a good chance you’ve already got all three of these ingredients at home! Whether you’re craving a nutritious treat, or want to get the kids more involved in the kitchen, look no further! I hope you enjoy!
3 Ingredients. Chocolate, Peanut Butter…need I say more. These are the perfect treats to make with your kids – or just for yourself! Kid Friendly.
- 12 regular sized or 24 mini cupcake liners (I used silicone but paper liners work too!)
- 1 ¾ cups dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ –⅓ cup of your favorite peanut butter
- Coarse salt (I used Maldon Sea Salt)
- Add 1 cup chocolate and 1 tbsp coconut oil to a medium microwave safe bowl. Melt on high for 1 minute, remove from the microwave and stir. Continue to melt in 30 second intervals, stirring in between to make sure it doesn’t burn ( mine were melted after 1 additional 30 second round).
- Line your muffin tin with your cupcake liners, divide chocolate evenly between the cups. Place in the freezer to set for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and top each with approx 1 tsp of peanut butter (or ½ tsp for the minis). Tap the muffin tin on the counter to settle and spread the peanut butter out evenly, or use the back of a spoon to do the same.
- Melt remaining chocolate and coconut oil using the same method as above. Divide between the cups to create your top layer.
- Place in the freezer for a minimum of 20 minutes or overnight. Enjoy!
Store any leftover cups in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Frozen, No Bake
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: Halloweed, easy, healthy treats