This creamy vegan smoothie is packed full of plant-based protein and has a delicious mint chocolate flavor. The best part? It’s ready in just 5 minutes!
Mint Chocolate Black Bean Smoothie. Yep, you read that right, I put black beans into my smoothies, the very same ones that you put in your chili!
Smoothies are an awesome quick and easy meal on the go, but without a good source of protein, they can leave you feeling hungry 30 minutes later.
I often use Greek yogurt for that very reason, but recently I’ve had a lot of clients looking for a vegan chocolate smoothie, so I got to testing and the black beans work so well in this chocolate mint combo!
Tip: I find that having smoothie ideas on-hand helps for those busy weeks, so I created a list of 15+ healthy meal prep recipes for you here.
Why Black Beans?
Black beans add a creamy richness to smoothies, and when blended with the right ingredients (like mint and chocolate!) you won’t even notice them in there! They also add a ton of nutritional benefits!
Black Bean Protein
If you’re looking for a vegan or plant based protein, beans are such little nutrition powerhouses. I tend to use black beans for chocolate or peanut butter flavored smoothies and opt for white beans (cannellini beans) for fruit based smoothies.
A few notes about black beans as a protein source:
- Protein helps rebuild and repair muscle tissue (great for a post workout smoothie!)
- Plant-based and vegan
- 1 serving of beans (½ cup) contains 20 grams of protein
- Whole food source
Other Nutrition Benefits of Black Beans
Aside from being a great source of protein, here are a few other reasons to love them!
- Plays an important role in hundreds of biochemical reactions in the body.
- Helps regulate proper muscle contraction.
- Helps improve energy levels and mental focus.
- Helps in the production of hemoglobin which is an important protein found in red blood cells that help carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.
Blood Sugar Balance
Beans provide a specific type of fiber called soluble fiber which helps improve blood sugar balance in a couple of different ways:
- Slows the rate food passes through the digestive
- Forms a gel when combined with water which slows the rate food is absorbed by the small intestine
Both of these make for a slower rise of blood sugars which results in longer lasting energy (without the crash), longer lasting fullness and less likely to experience overwhelming physical cravings.
I’ve shared a more in depth post on managing cravings here!
Other Smoothies you Might Like:
Note: to make any of the recipes below into vegan smoothies sub the Greek yogurt for black beans, cannellini beans, tofu or your favorite protein powder!
If you make this smoothie recipe don’t forget to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram @lindsaypleskot so I can see your variations! It makes my day!Print
Black beans work surprisingly well in this recipe to add a creamy texture and an extra boost of fiber and protein for an energizing, blood sugar balancing smoothie! Vegan.
- Place all ingredients except cacao nibs in the blender. Blend until smooth (30-60 seconds)
- add the cacao nibs and give a quick blitz or stir in with a spoon or straw if you want more of a crunch!
- Add more milk if you’re finding it too thick
- If you prep this ahead of time it thickens overnight and will definitely need to be re-blended with more liquid
- Decrease the liquid or let sit overnight to make this into a pudding!
- Milk: any milk with work. Regular, plant based, choose what works for you!
- Cacao Nibs: If you don’t have, feel free to add a sprinkle of chocolate chips!
- Mint: If you don’t have fresh mint, a splash of mint extract will work
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Beverages, Breakfast. Desserts, Snacks
- Method: Blended
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: Quick meals, On the go
LIKE THIS RECIPE? SHARE IT WITH SOMEONE YOU KNOW WILL LOVE IT TOO!