These 30 minute one pan fajitas are made with simple ingredients like bell peppers, red onion and chicken breasts. With a super simple chicken fajita seasoning, the flavor, ease and minimal clean up will make this a weeknight staple!
Sheet pan chicken fajitas are about to become a staple in your meal rotation! Anything that requires one pan (lined with parchment paper might I add, just crumble, recycle and clean up is done!) is a winner in my books.
Chicken fajitas are one of those meals that cover all the bases. As a dietitian I’m always considering how meals can be not only balanced (aka – provide longer lasting energy and cover your nutritional bases) and packed with nutritious ingredients, but just as importantly, satisfy the flavor you crave!
Tip: I find that having a few meal ideas on hand frees up time for more precious family time, so I’ve created a list of my well-balanced meal recipes for you here!
So let’s dive into the deets of this beauty of a recipe!
Chicken Fajita Ingredients
Ingredients you will need:
- Bell peppers (I used yellow, red and orange)
- Red onion
- Chicken Breasts
- Avocado Oil
- Chicken fajita seasoning (see below)
Chicken Fajita Seasoning
All you need for this simple but flavorful seasoning is:
- Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper
Combined with avocado oil for high heat cooking and baked to perfection you’ll never believe this simple seasoning could pack this much punch!
Chicken Fajita Toppings
This is where you can get creative and really make them your own! Here are my fave toppings:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Plain yogurt of sour cream
- Hot sauce (Valentina and Frank’s Hot Sauce are my go-tos!)
- Fresh Squeeze of lime
- Cheese: I like Shredded marble or Mexican cheese blend, feta, or cotija cheese
- Tomatoes or Salsa
How to Make Chicken Fajitas (In the Oven)
I like to opt for oven-baked chicken fajitas over pan fried. Why? One simple reason, less hands on time! In the oven they require just one flip about mid way through – no hovering over the stove!
- Add chicken and veggies onto a parchment lined baking sheet
- Toss in avocado oil (or other high heat cooking oil) and fajita seasoning
- Bake at 425 for 20-22 minutes or until cooked through. Flipping once
- Serve on warm tortillas with toppings like tomato, guacamole, cheese and lime
Ingredient Swaps for Baked Chicken Fajitas
There are so many different combos you could use to make the fajita of your dreams. Haha
- Tofu ( I like to slice lengthwise)
- Mushrooms (Portobellos work great for these!)
Just keep in mind that cook time may vary depending on the fillings you use!
How to Serve Chicken Fajitas
Serve on warm tortillas with your favorite toppings, or opt to make a Chicken Fajita Bowl serving everything over rice or quinoa!
Meal Prep Tips for Chicken Fajitas
To make this an even speedier meal here are a few ways you could incorporate the ingredients into some weekly meal prep
- Wash and cut up your vegetables during meal prep to have them ready to go on the night of (wrap in paper towel or tea cloth to absorb extra moisture so they last longer!)
- Cut up and season chicken, or cook chicken during meal prep so that all that’s left is to reheat and serve!
When doing meal prep I always recommend considering how you may be able to repurpose your meal prep ingredients into different meals throughout the week – for example, prep extra chicken for salads or a stir fry throughout the week, or extra peppers for curries or pasta sauces!
This will save you so much time throughout the week and by having a plan and repurposing ingredients into different recipes, you will also reduce food waste and save money on your grocery bill! It’s a win win.
Do you do any type of weekly meal prep? I’d love to hear what works for you in the comments below!
Ok, time to go enjoy these easy baked chicken fajitas and let me know what you think!
If you try the recipe out, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below! And don’t forget to take a pic before you dig in and share it on Instagram tagging me @lindsaypleskot so I can see! It truly makes my day to see these recipes come to life in your kitchen! xo
Other Recipes you Might Like
- One Pan Greek Chicken with Blistered Tomatoes and Red Peppers
- Shrimp and Dragonfruit Street Tacos
- Prep Ahead Crunchy Cauliflower Chickpea Tacos
- One Pan Turmeric Lemon Rice and Chicken with Kale
For more easy weeknight meals, check out The 3-2-1 Method Meal Plans! Weekly meal prep, grocery lists and planning done for you!Print
Easy Sheet-Pan Chicken Fajitas (plus seasoning!)
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
A delicious 30 minute one pan fajita recipe made with simple ingredients like bell peppers, red onion and chicken breasts. With a super simple chicken fajita seasoning, the flavor, ease and minimal clean up will make this a weeknight staple!
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 orange pepper, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- Fresh lime juice, plain yogurt or sour cream, salsa, guacamole, tomatoes, cheese, cilantro, cheese ( I like shredded marble cheese or Tex Mex mix, feat or cotija cheese and hot sauce! (toppings optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Add all ingredients directly to a parchment lined baking sheet, tossing to coat evenly with oil and fajita seasoning.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Flipping once
- Serve on warm tortillas, top as desired and enjoy!
- To make Gluten Free: opt for corn tortillas or other gluten-free option. Also note that if you are on a strict gluten-free diet some spices can be cross contaminated. Avoid buying bulk and check packaging for gluten-free claim.
- To make Vegan: Swap chicken for tofu or smoked tofu, tempeh, seitan or other meat alternative.
- I used Avocado oil as it has a higher smoke point (approx 475 F-485 F). For more information on cooking oils check out this post!
- Lining your baking sheet: You can also line with tinfoil but I prefer parchment paper as it doesn’t tear as easily making for easier clean up!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Heather Maciver says
This recipe is a life saver! Why did I not think to sheet pan fajitas before. Thank you Lindsay, love this time saving method.
Wohoo! So happy it’s saving you some time and sanity Heather!! I will take any opportunity for less time and less mess! haha
Tara Steinberg says
This was a big hit with the whole family! We’ll definitely be adding it into regular rotation.
Lindsay Pleskot says
I’m so happy you and your family loved this one! It’s definitely a staple in our house.