These healthy smoothies are packed with all the goods from vibrant fruits and vegetables for a fiber and antioxidant boost, to various proteins (plant-based included) to keep blood sugars stable, and nourishing fats like nuts, seeds and avocadoes to keep you full, satisfied and fueled into your day. Any of these smoothies can be meal prepped for busy mornings, find all my tips and tricks below!
I love me a good meal prep breakfast and there is possibly none easier than a good ol’ healthy breakfast smoothie to prep in advance! (I mean these breakfast burritos come close, but why not give yourself options, right?!)
Is it true that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? As a dietitian I don’t think I can pick a favorite meal – eating regularly throughout the day is key to keeping energy levels up and preventing that out of control feeling around food, but breakfast does sort of set the tone for the rest of the day!
When we start the day with a balanced, nourishing breakfast we are more likely to have more energy, more stable mood, better focus and concentration, and make other food choices that support our wellbeing throughout the day!
So, let’s dive into how you can prep your favorite smoothies in advance so you start the day relaxed and feeling good!
How to Prep a Smoothie in Advance
There are a few different ways you can meal prep smoothies. Any method will work, it really just depends on your personal preference!
One thing to note before getting started — make sure to multiply your smoothie recipe by the number of servings you’d like to have. I recommend making enough for 5-10 servings. It takes minimal time to prep extra but saves so much time from having to start from scratch every time!
- Ice Cube Trays or Muffin Tins: Blend up your smoothie then freeze in ice cube trays or muffin tins lined with silicone liners. Once frozen, pop the frozen cubes or pucks out of the trays and store in a reusable storage bag.
- Smoothie Packs: Place all smoothie ingredients (unblended) except for your liquid in individual reusable storage bags. Store in the freezer and just add liquid and blend when ready to eat!
- Store in Mason Jars: Blend smoothies and pour into mason jars. If freezing, I recommend freezing them upright without the lid and then screwing the lid on once frozen in case the liquid expands while freezing.
Try these methods out on any of the smoothies below. They’ll also work for any of the smoothies in The 3-2-1 Method Meal Plans!
3-2-1 Method Meal Plans
Enjoy 4 weeks of done-for-you meal plans and get 3-5 hours of your time back every week!
Best Smoothie Prep Containers
- Muffin tins or ice cube trays
- Silicon muffin tins or silicone muffin tine liners
- Large and small reusable storage bags
- Mason Jars
How Long can you Keep a Prepped Smoothie?
In the Fridge: Keep blended smoothies in the fridge for up to 3 days. Smoothie ingredient packs will last up to 4 days, however I recommend keeping the smoothie packs in the freezer as smoothies are so much colder and creamier with frozen ingredients!
For blended smoothies, give them a good shake before serving to mix up any ingredients that have settled
In the Freezer: Store both blended smoothies and smoothie packs in the freezer up to 3 months.
Tips for Making Smoothies
My top tips for making delicious prep ahead smoothies include:
- Use frozen fruits and vegetables for the perfect cold, creamy texture
- Don’t be afraid to make swaps! If you don’t like anything in the smoothie, leave it out or swap like for like. Ex: swap fruit for fruit, if you don’t like the milk, use your favorite milk alternative.
- Get and easy boost of greens. Add a handful of spinach or a milk green like romaine lettuce to almost any smoothie! It will change the color but doesn’t have a huge impact on flavor
- How to add natural sweetness: Use an unsweetened vanilla flavor of your favorite plant based milk, or try adding a dash or cinnamon, vanilla or a couple of pitted dates!
What Makes a Healthy Breakfast Smoothie?
So this is 2 part:
1. Make sure you like it! Choose flavors and ingredients you like and opt for a smoothie because you enjoy it, not as a “should”. Enjoying our food is such an important part of a healthy relationship with food.
2. Nutritionally, here are some tips for putting together a healthy, balanced meal prep smoothie.
- Start with fruit and veggies: Aim for ½ -1 cup of fruit to start + a handful of greens if you like!
- Make sure to include protein: protein helps balance blood sugars and keep us full longer after eating. Some of my favorite smoothie proteins include Greek yogurt, hemp hearts, tofu and even black beans!
- Don’t forget fat! Fat is our satiety factor! Add avocado, hemp hearts, chia seeds, flax or nut or seed butters for extra creaminess and a smoothie that will leave you feeling satisfied
- Include a complex carbohydrate like oats for an extra boost of fuel! While you’ll get some carbohydrates from the fruit it may not be enough to sustain you. Oats add a subtle flavor and lots of fiber to help balance blood sugars!
Alright, now that you know all the tips and tricks to master the art of smoothie meal prep, here are 15+ recipes to get you started!
1. 3 Ingredient High Protein Lemon Cheesecake Smoothie Pops
These 3 ingredient high protein smoothie pops are packed with nutritious ingredients making them the perfect prep ahead breakfast, snack or dessert for all ages!
2. 5-Minute Pregnancy Green Smoothie
This green smoothie includes powerhouse ingredients like avocado, coconut milk and mango to support pregnancy and new mamas to be (although you don’t have to be pregnant to enjoy and benefit!)! It’s high in iron, vitamin C, calcium and fiber.
3. Hangover Cure Orange & Ginger Smoothie
This Hangover Cure Orange & Ginger is everything you need to start you on your way to feeling alive again! Hydration to tackle that headache with a boost of potassium to replenish electrolytes, ginger for nausea and an unsettled stomach, and protein and Vitamin D from Greek yogurt to get those blood sugars balanced and start lifting that mood!
4. Mint Chocolate Black Bean Smoothie
This creamy vegan smoothie is packed full of plant-based protein and has a delicious mint chocolate flavor. The best part? It’s ready in just 5 minutes!
5. Prep Ahead Dark Chocolate Cherry Prune Smoothie Cubes
You will be addicted to this chocolate cherry combo! Enjoy right out of the blender or freeze into cubes for a quick prep ahead breakfast! Vegetarian.
6. Creamy Pumpkin Spice Smoothie
This balanced smoothie is packed with protein, fiber and cozy fall flavors!
7. Creamy Matcha Green Smoothie
Your morning pick me up and breakfast all in one. This creamy matcha green smoothie deserves a spot in the weekday breakfast rotation!
8. Key Lime Kefir Smoothie Pops
Good for the gut, good for the soul. Packed with so many nourishing ingredients like spinach, avocado and kefir, these make a delicious treat for the kiddos and a delicious grab and go breakfast for you, busy momma!
9. Strawberry Basil Smoothie
This smoothie is summer in a cup! Strawberries and basil go hand in hand for a unique cold and creamy treat that you won’t be able to get enough of.
10. Satisfying Smoothies: How to Build the Perfect Blend
So what is the secret to the perfect smoothie blend? It’s no different than what you want to look for in an energizing and satisfying meal…balance!
11. Creamy Chocolate Banana Chia Seed Shake
This smoothie seriously tastes like a chocolate milkshake. And it’s packed with Omega-3s, protein, calcium and naturally sweetened with a date!
12. Healthy Piña Colada Smoothie
This fresh and flavorful piña colada smoothie is packed with tropical flavors like pineapple and coconut and also provides all the goods for an energizing, balanced meal with protein, fiber, and plant-based fats to keep you satisfied!
13. Creamy Watermelon Banana Smoothie
This watermelon banana smoothie is made with just 5 simple ingredients and is packed with protein, fiber and antioxidant rich Vitamin C. This creamy smoothie is a perfect breakfast to fuel your day, and can even be prepped ahead for busy mornings!
14. Lemon Blueberry Avocado Smoothie by Walderwellness
This lemon blueberry avocado smoothie is such a delicious, easy, and filling breakfast idea! Touches of lemon zest, vanilla, and cinnamon add so much incredible flavour, while avocado and yogurt make the texture super creamy. Recipe is gluten-free, naturally sweetened only with fruit, and can be made vegan if needed.
15. Papaya Lime Smoothie by Desiree Nielson
This juicy papaya lime smoothie has a juicy flavour and plenty of gut-friendly ingredients like anti-inflammatory ginger, omega 3-rich hemp hearts and vitamin C-rich papaya.
If you try any of these smoothie recipes, it would make my day if you would leave a comment and/or star rating below— I love hearing your feedback! And don’t forget to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @lindsaypleskot so I can see your versions! It makes me so happy to see these recipes come to life in your kitchens! xoPrint
These healthy smoothies, including this pina colada smoothie, are packed with all the goods from vibrant fruits and vegetables for a fiber and antioxidant boost, to various proteins (plant-based included) to keep blood sugars stable, and nourishing fats like nuts, seeds and avocadoes to keep you full, satisfied and fueled into your day. Any of these smoothies can be meal prepped for busy mornings, find all my tips and tricks below!
- 1/2 banana, frozen
- 1/2 cup pineapple, frozen
- 1 Tbsp ground white chia seeds *see notes for alternatives
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut *see notes for alternatives
- 3/4 cup of plain or coconut Greek yogurt ( I like to use 2%-5% but any will work!)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (I used the Silk unsweetened vanilla coconut milk)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smoothe. Approximately 30-60 seconds.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately, or see below for instructions to freeze.
To Freeze: Line a muffin tine with silicon liners. Pour smoothie in and freeze, minimum 2 hours or overnight. Once pucks are frozen, remove the pucks and store in a reusable storage bag like this in the freezer.
To Make it Vegan: Sub Greek yogurt for 1/2 block (185g) of medium-firm tofu. Note you may need to add extra pineapply or banana for extra sweetness with this version. Start with 1/2 cup pineapple or extra 1/2 banana and adjust to taste
For the Greek Yogurt: I like to use 2% or 5% Greek yogurt, but any will do. Vanilla and lemon flavours also work well in this smoothie!
Shredded Coconut: can replace for 1 Tbsp coconut manna (coconut butter)
Chia seeds: Any chia seeds will work, black, white, ground or whole. I prefer the ground white chia seeds for texture and color but the end result will be very similar!
Coconut Milk: You can also use canned coconut milk for an extra creamy option!
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: beverages
- Method: blended
- Cuisine: north american
Keywords: protein smoothie, healthy smoothie, breakfast recipe, balanced smoothie